Saturday, December 24, 2011

Justice League #4

For as awesome as Justice League is supposed to be, so far the first four issues have been decidedly....not awesome. And this all rests on the shoulders of Geoff Johns, as Jim Lee's held up his end of job epically. The problem with this series stems from its concept -- the origin of the Justice League set in the past. What is intriguing about this concept? Why does this story need to be retold other than to establish differences between the old DCU and the DCnU?

Compiled on top of that, Geoff Johns has very slow moving plots, and considering he is working with seven characters he wants  to give fairly equal screentime to, well that makes things slower. Maybe Geoff Johns is building towards something awesome, like this book desperately needs, but all I find myself thinking when I read this is "ok, enough with the alien invasion, when is something going to happen?" And then I pick up the next month's issue, and nothing ever does.

To illustrate my point, here's a quick summation of this issue:

FATHER NO!
I'm Green Lantern and I'm a dumbass
Aquaman SMASH
All will bow to Darkseid!
There, I just saved you all time in having to read the whole comic. I just told the same story in less than three pages than it took Johns to write in twenty.  Obviously I'm exaggerating, but it's not much of a stretch. Action, exposition, action, exposition action - if that's going to be the basic story structure, the exposition should at least be awesome, but it's not.

What I liked: Jim Lee.

What I didn't: How much Geoff Johns likes Jim Lee's work that the story takes a backseat to "WOW THAT LOOKS AWESOME!"

Conclusion: Another boring issue and I might leave this book. If Geoff Johns wants to be a top writer on par with Morrison, Snyder, and Marvel's Aaron and Remender, time to put up or shut up. If you want to label this book your "flagship" book, make it the best book in the "New 52." 7.7/10 (C+).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments appropriate, the comments section will be moderated at my discretion.