Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Swamp Thing #1

Although I've loved Scott Snyder's run on Detective Comics, I didn't think I'd be picking up his new run on Swamp Thing. Because honestly, I could care less about the title character. I don't care about Alan Moore's groundbreaking run on the comic, and I don't care about Brightest Day.

But I do care about what Scott Snyder's writing. And the first review I read of Swamp Thing #1 was glowing. And that peaked my interest, at least enough to try the first issue. And I liked this issue, not that I ever thought that I wouldn't, but I digress.

But overall my opinion hasn't changed. While I enjoyed this comic, I still don't care about Dr. Holland or Swamp Thing.

But that's not Scott Snyder's fault. It's going to take and patience to develop Swamp Thing and/or Dr. Holland into characters I care about. I have no doubt that if I stick around long enough, that it will happen. But honestly, I don't know if that's going to happen. I personally was more interested in Superman's role in this book, which is more to do with me being a fan of superheroes, and not a fan of monsters or whatever he is exactly.

Yanick Paquette is very strong on the art in this issue, outside of Superman's jaw, which makes him look like Stan from the "American Dad" TV show. The characters look lifelike and the images of all the fish, birds, and bats dying in the beginning is stunning.


What I enjoyed: The art was great, and the page layouts are really good (as seen above). Scott Snyder even made me interested in characters I never thought I would be interested in.

What I didn't: I still don't care yet about Alec Holland and the Swamp Thing. There's no emotional investment.....yet. Also, I feel as if I could have used some more background info on these characters as I know nothing of them.

Conclusion: I'm not dropping this book, but I'm not enthusiastic about its future. I really doubt that Scott Snyder is going to keep me reeled in long enough for it all to pay off. It's just not my cup of tea. All-in-all though, this is a pretty good issue, it gets a 81/100 (B-).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments appropriate, the comments section will be moderated at my discretion.