Monday, September 19, 2011

Red Lanterns #1

Most reactions I read about this book were fairly negative, mostly complaining about the pointlessness of the Red Lanterns getting their own book. Complaints about them being one-dimensional, boring and superficial filled reviews. I counter that all characters are like that until one dives in head-first and starts creating those new dimensions.

I don't have a ton of experience with the Red Lanterns. I've read Blackest Night, and they showed up in there, but otherwise my exposure to them has been limited. But I think the addition of different kind of Lanterns is one of the best things Geoff Johns has done in his Green Lantern epic, so I'm all for exploring some unknown territory.


Also, this (see below) was the preview image that I saw for this issue. Total win. This instantly makes me want to read this comic, no joke at all. The fact that a domestic house-cat can be a Red Lantern shows how they're different than the Green Lanterns, in that it seems as if they serve the rings more than the rings serve them, who more often have the latter dynamic.

This issue mostly deals with the insecurities of Atrocitus, the leader of the Red Lanterns, who is suffering after Hal Jordan destroyed the Guardian he wanted vengeance upon. With the source of his rage gone, he is doubting his ability to lead the Red Lanterns, and if he can be a capable leader, or even if his followers want to follow him anymore.

My one worry was that the book wouldn't offer up anything new to the Red Lanterns, but this journey through Atrocitus' self-doubt and insecurity definitely works and keeps me interested, even if it's not the most original idea.

Also, Ed Benes is a fantastic artist. If this book sticks around, it's worth checking out if just for the art.

What I enjoyed: Atrocitus is becoming a well-rounded character, Dex-Starr the Red Lantern cat, and Ed Benes' pencils. A book that could have been "bleh" is actually pretty good.

What I didn't: I didn't get an idea of who the rest of the Red Lanterns besides Atrocitus were. I hope they get explored more in the future issues.

Conclusion: Worth picking up and continuing to read, not going to change your life, it receives 77/100 (C+).

1 comment:

Please keep all comments appropriate, the comments section will be moderated at my discretion.